Greetings from Tucson!
Note the new posts and the new organization for the website. The posts on Genesis have been moved to the Riffs on Genesis page. The latest posts feature the Jacob story. For those click on Riffs on Genesis in the menu at the top of this page.
The posts I’ve collected here are reflections on biblical themes and materials that are not based on Genesis. These studies are eclectic, ranging across the Old Testament and the New. I hope that they will together point to ways of approaching the Bible that illuminate not only the biblical text but life itself, which is is what any good biblical reflection should do.
- The Bible and Critical Race TheoryWe need historians. Especially now. Especially in traditional liberal arts colleges. Especially in Christianliberal arts colleges. We need historians because History—how to write it, teach it, and think it—is at the center of a current culture war. Often thought to be the dustiest of all academic subjects, History is now determining elections, causing people to behaveContinue reading “The Bible and Critical Race Theory”
- 1 Timothy 2 and Women in Leadership: a Reading of the TextThose who oppose the recognition of women as pastors and elders in the church often suppose that they have the biblical high ground. They accuse those who welcome women into church leadership of denying the literal meaning of the texts, playing fast and loose with scripture. To open church office to women, they argue, underminesContinue reading “1 Timothy 2 and Women in Leadership: a Reading of the Text”
- WHAT ABOUT PAUL?I began this series of posts with the question, “Is Genesis 3 a fall story?” The question can be answered in two ways. The first would be to say, yes, it is a fall story, but not in the usual sense. Better, and what I suggested in the previous post (“Is Genesis 3 a FallContinue reading “WHAT ABOUT PAUL?”
- THE BIBLE AND SEXI’ll call this post, “The Bible and Sex.” As you already know, it’s not everything the Bible has to say about sex, even though the Bible has less to say about sex than many people think. Truth be told, this too long post is not even a good start on the Bible and sex. ButContinue reading “THE BIBLE AND SEX”
- THE CONVERSATION IIThis is the third in a series of posts responding to questions put to me by readers of my earlier series of posts I grouped together under the general title, “The Quest for “A Foundation-Laying Biblical Theology of Human Sexuality.” All are available on the website. The questions were broadly about two claims I madeContinue reading “THE CONVERSATION II”
- THE CATHEDRALDid you mumble a bit on the creed? Many years ago, Adria and I brought Tim (not his real name) to church. Tim was a consultant working on a project for the state of Michigan that Adria was also working on. He came to church with us several times during while he was in town.Continue reading “THE CATHEDRAL”
Get new posts in your inbox automatically
Fairhaven Harbor, Bellingham, Washington